Friday, March 23, 2012

Life's a Load of Second Chances

From where I sit in our California king, listening to Christa Wells and the sound of my dryer in the laundry room next door, life is... so good. It's a load of the kids clothes, towels, toddler shirts, mommy jeans, and dish towels. It's a full day of dirt and crumbs and sweat and snot. I've never loved doing laundry so much in my life.

Pictures like this are rare, so I have to post it! 


If you know me well, you've probably heard me complain about laundry at some point or another. But I can honestly say that I've recently undergone a transformation of sorts in my attitude towards this ongoing, never ending task. Not because I've found a new detergent that I love or dryer sheets that leave my clothes smelling like heaven (in fact I've recently decided to stop using dryer sheets altogether).

No, I think it's the Lord who's working on me. He has seen me in my dispair on those really long days when I am at my end with whiny toddlers. He's seen me angry. He's seen me examining all my new gray hairs and naming each one after an incident that day. He's seen me fall asleep on the floor in the twins bedroom when I'm waiting for them to fall asleep. And instead of throwing me out for the dirt smudges all over myself, the stains and the tears, he's throwing me in the wash, mending me, and making me new. Yep, God's doing laundry, too (and I'm pretty sure He doesn't use dryer sheets either).

My heavenly Father loves me enough (and He is ironic enough) to use something as mundane as laundry to wake me up and enjoy the journey of motherhood.  I am so thankful.

Life is a load of second chances. And third chances. And fourth chances... . You get the picture.

6 comments:

  1. love this Amber, and you are so right! Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful perspective that will get you through many a grueling day! God is doing a GOOD thing in you! Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Christina & Toni :-) They are little rays of sunshine during this rainy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Rachel. I hear just about every day how full my hands are with my 3 under 3 and I see you have 9 blessings! I'm sure you are a pro at doing laundry! :-)

      Delete