Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Of Mice and Little Men

Yesterday, the boys really impressed me a number of times. Once when I was sitting in a chair that Isaac wanted to sit in, he actually said "Excuse me." If you know my boys and their speech delay, I was so happy to hear such a polite request from him. Both boys have been doing so well with their alphabet and counting, sometimes all the way up to 20!


When I was getting ready to take the kids on a walk, I took them into the garage, buckled Bri into the wagon so she couldn't get in to anything, propped open the garage door so I could audibly keep tabs on what was going on. I ran back into the house to use the bathroom, also propping open that door - you can never be too safe with twin toddlers on the loose, grab the bag of diapers, and put on my shoes.

As I walked back to the garage, Elijah and Isaac came excited in to the house. Isaac was dangling something in his hand as he said proudly, "Mouse! Mouse!" At first I thought perhaps it was a toy mouse. And then I realized we didn't have a toy mouse.

"Put it down! Put it down! Put it down!" I screamed rather hysterically.

The boys looked pretty confused because usually when I find things like lizards, centipedes, or especially large spiders, I try to catch them safely and show the boys with some enthusiasm. But that is when I catch them... .

I shook Isaac's hand until the mouse fell to the floor (I was so thankful it was lying still and not just "mostly dead"). Then I made the boy wash their hands immediately, threatened them not to touch the mouse, and promptly grabbed a napkin to safely pick up the mouse and throw it to its final resting place over the fence in the backyard.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? The next video is just for fun. I'm not sure who to give credit to, but you can find this on youtube.


1 comment:

  1. Meredith asked to watch this video (of the boys, not the mouse) at least 5 times, smiling all the while. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete