Monday, January 30, 2012

Ridiculous O'clock

Last week Ben and I were up early every morning. He is usually up by 4am to study Greek and have his time alone reading and praying. He is so disciplined in that way! For a while I have insisted that while he needs to do that in order to study, I really do not have to get up at ridiculous o-clock to fit in my own devotional time.

I got up at 5:43am. It's 6:30am, I'm already showered and ready for the day, but I'm realizing that it is already too late to put together a cognitive blog. The boys are opening and shutting their bedroom door which is adjacent to the baby's, so naturally she is crying... and this has been going on for a while.  It has become painfully obvious to me that rising at an early hour is the only way to even begin to accomplish the things that I hope for - time alone, time reading scripture, time praying, and hopefully one of these days exercise....

I am reminded of a verse that I read last week, when I cracked open my Bible asking God to help me get out of bed. God has a sense of humor. No joke, I opened it up to Ephesians 5:14 - 17 which reads like this in the ESV version of the Bible:

"Awake O Sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." 
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.


What stood out to me the most? Making the best use of the time. My time as a mother of young children is short, however long it seems on many days. I have never thought of applying this portion of scripture to household responsibilities or motherhood, but it was so clear to me last week, and is today that the best use of my time right now is in keeping life going, and encouraging and nourishing my family. And apparently, in getting up early.



No comments:

Post a Comment